Soloing Don Carlos as an Enhancement Shaman
Don Carlos is a mini-boss in Heroic Durholde who has a 100% chance of dropping Don Carlos’ Famous Hat — which makes sense, because he’s very clearly wearing it! Of course, given the number of raptors running around without eyes, not to mention humans without skulls, I guess we can’t exactly take that kind of logic for granted …
Anyway, Don Carlos’ hat is an absolute must-have for any self-respecting shaman — not only because it’s pretty damn sexy in its own right, but because the “incorporeal coyote spirit” summoned by its on-use effect looks exactly like our Ghost Wolf form. I missed the zeppelin the first time it sailed, because Lil started as a lowly alt; by the time she was leveled to 70 and attuned to the Caverns of Time, all of my friends had already farmed Old Hillsbrad dry and were pretty burnt out on it.
Fortunately, it’s relatively easy to solo at level 80.
Here’s how I did it (and believe me, if I can do it, anyone can!):
1. Spec Enhancement. I don’t think this is necessary, per se, but it’s fun. After a long week of healbotting friendly things and boring unfriendly things to death, a girl has to get her Windfury on.
2. Port to Orgrimmar.
3. Remember that there’s a portal directly to the Caverns to Time in the Dalaran’s Violet Citadel.
5. Astral Recall to Dalaran.
6. Wonder if anyone’s started a QQ thread about Shamans being cheated in 3.1 by a 30 minute Hearthstone cooldown …
7. Be amazed to find that cooler heads do occasionally prevail!
(What were we doing again? Oh, right…)
8. Port to the Caverns of Time.
9. Run a couple of laps around the central cavern, trying to remember which instance is Old Hillsbrad. (For the record, it’s the one that looks like an Alliance outpost, but not actually an Alliance town. If there’s a lot of buildings, its Old Stratholme. If there are only a few buildings, it’s Durnholde. Trees and swampy things mean you’re on your way to Mount Hyjal or Black Morass.)
10. Old Hillsbrad is an outdoor instance, so don’t forget to mount up or shift into Ghost Wolf form. I recommend Ghost Wolf. You’re doing this for fun!, after all, and nothing says fun! more than romping around naked while scratching yourself and howling. (Just ask the man in your life.)
11. NO! Don’t take the dragon! He’s all gung-ho to rescue some hapless orcs, or something. Save that for some sightseeing Children of Wrath; you’re on a mission, here.
12. Run up the road. No, the other up! I mean down. I mean— …
Why the hell are you asking me for directions? Did you miss the post in which I confessed to getting lost in the Dalaran bank? Just … run around, howling and scratching, until you stumble across Don Carlos and his faithful Coyote Spirit. That’s what I did, and it didn’t take long.
13. Scamper ahead of the dashing don, and drop some totems. I went with Windfury, Mana Stream, Earth Elemental and Magma Totem.
13. CHAIN LIGHTNING!
14. … Remember belatedly — and vaguely, from doing this on your level 70 ‘lock — that Don Carlos is ranged, so you while you definitely succeeded in making him angry, he’s still dancing out of range, shooting you with arrows, and (insult to injury!) his pet puppy is chewing on your furry Tauren tail ass. (Almost forgot; Old Hillsbrad makes you human. /shudder)
16. Heal yourself. (Ah, familiar ground! Flash of Lesser Healing Light works well here, because you will be getting pushback. Just don’t do what I did, and waste precious seconds troubleshooting your Riptide keybind. You specced out of it, dummy.)
17. Run up to him, taking the long way because (damn it!) there’s a fence in the way …
18. Push some buttons. If they include anything that procs Windfury, you win! If they don’t, heal yourself and try again.
(Okay, okay. I’ll try to be helpful. “Some buttons” actually means Stormstrike, Earth Shock and Lava Lash, in that order. Every time Maelstrom Weapon stacks to five, use Chain Lightning or Lightning Bolt for DPS or Healing Wave for a clutch self-heal. Imbue your main-hand weapon with Windfury on your off-hand with Flametongue. Also, due to some bizarre math thing I don’t quite understand, the Torch of Holy Fire is currently the best enhancement main-hand in the game … so if you’re fortunate enough to have one, don’t bother equipping that level 75 Northrend blue that you’ve been carrying around in your off-spec set. Just use the pretty healing mace, and you’re g2g.)
19. Repeat step 18 until Don Carlos dies. Then do it again to his puppy (which doesn’t despawn, for some reason).
20. /cheer! — and pose for the camera, of course!